Friday, July 12, 2013

Stand Up or Give Up...A Simple Choice

I admire folks who 'stand' for some thing. Actually, I admire all people who step forward and publicly embrace ideas, beliefs and causes; even though those passions may be diametrically opposing views to that which I embrace. I may disagree but I shall tolerate 'rights' of every kind of thinking. I am saddened by the weak-kneed complainer who fears retribution or some negative 'fallout' from having public courage to stand and be COUNTED. 'Fear' is the greatest social-malady of the 21st century.

Please, if I may; I believe Jesus Christ died for our sins and thus our acknowledgment of Christ paves the way to forgiveness and eternity. Whatever it is that others may or may not believe (religiously), I accept as their right and I will defend that right. Personally,organized religions don't 'float-my-boat' because I notice too many who belong are 'long' on judgment and 'short' on tolerance.

Furthermore, I am a Democrat because I can identify with more platform-planks and tenants of that political ideology than those held by the conservative Republican Party. I am a social scientist with an eye on social issues; I am not a wall street guy worried about money. I believe the two-party philosophy differences make for healthy debate and the potential for positive resolutions I hold to one philosophy but appreciate the other.

Okay, why my public proclamations regarding religion and politics? I simply wish to 'stand-for-something.' I do not fear consequences for my thoughts and beliefs as long as I permit others the same freedom. What irritates me is folks who wish to change or correct something but choose to do so anonymously either because of the aforementioned retribution or their methods are less than honorable; those individuals fail to have my respect.

Let me illustrate...

A few weeks ago, I spoke out openly regarding the unwarranted parent-driven dismissal of a high school coach. Many telephoned or emailed expressing similar concerns and opinions but stated they could not 'go public' with their opinions for fear of a backlash on their kid. I say 'bull-butter.' The coach that got fired is somebodies kid! Another example: Recently, the Decatur Public School District was confronted with alleged illegal recruiting by one public school coach. I understand that the matter is under investigation; good. What I do not understand is the number of people who want to 'see' the issue cleaned-up but are scared shit less that their name may be draw into the confrontation. Give me a break...if we wish for wrongs to be righted then 'stand' for right or jump on the 'yellow-brick-road' with the Lion.

My wife and I recently saw the movie 'Heat,' staring Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy. McCarty's character is a tough, foul-mouth-speaking investigative inner-city cop. In one scene, she is upset with her Captain's lack of courage on a matter. She shouts repeatedly across a large office for all to hear, "Has any body seen the Captain's NUTS, they're very small and he's lost his NUTS."

I get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment