Tuesday, March 4, 2014

It's was a Survival Technique

In the midst of a thirty-seven year varsity basketball coaching career, an assistant coach once said to me, "Coach, a lot of people think you are aloof and pompous." I responded, " If those folks said that to my face, I would simply ask, what's your point?" That comment perhaps seals the belief but please pause to look beneath the surface.  I never recall turning a parent or reporter away from making an inquiry that I always offered to answer. That said, I was guarded knowing most often with parents the answer given will not satisfy. The reporter asking the questions 'already' has a 'story-slant.'  I was cognizant of the story's direction and did my best, with comments/quotes, to sway the article towards a more positive slant.


I did my best to keep family and school personnel in my immediate  tight circle of friendships. I was aware that I was coach to everyone in a given community. Since I could not interact with everyone socially, I did not wish to alienate one soci-economic segment by appearing to attach to another segment. That posturing will come off as aloof and perhaps pompous...what's the alternative choice in a predominately self-centered and often mean-spirited society?


Near the end of my coaching career (Jacksonville, Illinois), I had retired from the daily grind of 'teaching' but remained as 'coach.' With  morning hours' spare time, I accepted an offer to have a morning DJ radio show on WLDS. My format was '50's & '60's music along with a daily shtick allowing listeners to call in with opinions. I often engaged in 'lighthearted' bantering with callers.The owner of the radio station told me that people listening could not believe that 'this' radio personality was the same Roustio the basketball coach; 'They are seeing a different side of you, " he said. I was in a studio behind controls that I held. Topics, comments and personal expressions came from the 'real' Mel Roustio...always the incurable 1950's romantic; a side well guarded and hidden.  An intentional survival-mode departmentalization.


This past weekend was a GOOD ONE. I got lucky each day. I went to Walmart on Saturday and Target on Sunday; both days when leaving the stores, I found my car immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment