Monday, March 17, 2014

'No Fool Like An Old Fool,'...

My wife and I are immensely blessed with three adult children, their respective spouses and fifteen grandchildren from those unions. That said, I note over the years that many of our grandkids as well many youngsters are becoming more and more sensitive to disciplinary words, corrective-criticism or even simple advice should my words lack a degree of 'sugar-coating.'


I suppose I am rather slow on the 'up-take' of this new-era 'adult-child' interaction. I should be more sensitive to 'how' I give (deliver) suggestions or advice; perhaps I am too much 'old-school' and not well versed in this new age motivating philosophy. I confess I am a product of growing up more motivated by the 'fear-factor' and straight-forward directives. I recall, as a youngster that my Grandfather, E. V. Bennett would simply point to an old leather razor-strap, which hung above his sink and say, "Boy, if you don't straighten up and behave right, I gonna get that razor strap." Shit-fire-and-save-matches, I never wanted that strap put to my ass...no sir, I feared that old strap!

I even remember that old Methodist preacher-man, back in the day, delivered  'fearful' Hell-fire-damnation-messages and had the props working FOR him... let me explain. Those 1940 and 1950's Church sanctuaries did not have air-condition and your butt was not pampered with soft cushions against those hard pews. Those East St. Louis (Mississippi Valley) summer days were brutal with relentless sweltering heat and unforgiving humidity. Unlike today's sugar-coated Sunday morning sermons in these modern and most  comfortable churches, I recall the old East St. Louis Pastor preaching about 'seeking' forgiveness, becoming saved and living righteous lives or suffering the consequences of the burning hot fires of eternal Hell. Those sermons lasted too long and often, I would look at my hand held fan with its local funeral home advertisements and know in my heart that there was likely a hotter place. It planted 'fear' in a fella's mind making him think long and hard about eternal life and salvation. That 'soul-saving' approach won't play Peoria TODAY!




I guess, I should back-off preaching so much to my grandchildren. I am sure the grandkids and their parents look at me as some old fool who is out-of-touch. If I could, I would blow smoke up their butts and tell them how wonderful they are at all they do but I know that I cannot embrace that approach without feeling disingenuous...thus I should do what Archie told Edith to do; stifle myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment