Monday, March 3, 2014

The 'NO' That Needs No Explanation

I am sure that many blog readers find me a tad bit critical of the Baby Boomer generation's parenting. I shall not deny that position. It would appear many Boomer parents are incapable of saying 'No' to their children and the result is devastating. Hear my reasoning-concern.


One mid-nineties spring, I was a presenting-speaker at the annual Midwest basketball coaches clinic held at a St. Louis Hotel. Between sessions, on this Saturday afternoon, I noticed many high school age youngsters 'checking-in' to the hotel. The high school kids were with dates prepared to spend the night at the hotel after their school's prom dance. Parent's had signed permission slips assuming responsibilities for any problems or hotel damages. As one young man explained to me, "Our parents know we are going to drink and party on Prom night and they don't want us out driving autos." Therefore, mom and pop gave the okay to 'drink and shack-up' at the hotel. Later, I asked my wife if our parents would have 'signed-off'' on such a night back in 1957?...she laughed but never bothered to answer.


Most of today's high school students will leave home and attend college and many parents will assume thousands of dollars debt over many years. I was fortunate to receive athletic financial assistance and thus my parents did not take-on debt for my education. None-the-less, my Father expected me to work every summer between college years.


In the next four weeks, one and a half million college and some high school age students will rush to Florida beaches and other warm weather areas to embrace what has become a mythical rite of passage...'spring break.' This generation of self-absorbed, self-centered children are, in most circumstances, being raised by pathetically enabling parents who will foot a 'spring break'  (collective) expenditure of over one billion dollars.
 The average male (breaker) will consume 18-drinks each day while females hammer-down 10 alcoholic drinks daily; fifty percent of these kids will stop drinking each day when they begin to puke or pass-out...that is a statistical fact. Many young spring-breakers will return to their home college campuses with souvenirs...various STD's. Most of these diseases will be treatable many will NOT be curable and some will cause lifetime emotional scares.


I never had a problem saying 'No' to my three kids; I admit that I used my Father's parenting philosophy...'I love you kids but I am not interested in winning your friendship.'


Matthew 5:37..."Let your yes be yes and your no be no...whatsoever is more than these is of the evil one."
A final thought: Every year, at least one young person falls to his death from a balcony during spring break. I will be praying for God's comforting grace upon the family who will receive that tragic news and I will wonder how painful the re-visit to that earlier conversation when "NO' was not invoked.

No comments:

Post a Comment