Monday, March 10, 2014

Love THAT Money; Love MY Gun

It's that time again, politicians are gearing up for the campaign-runs with a plethora of yard signs, radio ads and television pleas. Someone once said, 'After being elected to office, a politician will attend a legislative session, vote himself a pay raise and then begin holding re-election fund-raisers.' Bring on those ads!


I 'hear' a common refrain by GOP folks running for office:...'I will work to repeal and replace Obamacare.'  However, I have never heard a GOP consensus-plan offered as a replacement plan. This brings me to my next thought. Perhaps I am missing something but the GOP Conservative position most often agreed upon by the 'NO' party is predicated on a simple theory: Don't spend money! Therefore, do not give wage increases, do not fund public schools nor offer any government assistance programs, except for those 'farm subsidies.


Wisconsin (GOP) Governor, Scott Walker was successful dismantling that State's labor unions. Of course, studies suggest that the minimum wage is problematic for lower-middle class families. Historically, this nation's poor have watched sick family members unable to access life-saving health care and die, which raises the moral question. Enter Obamacare...it is that law, which the GOP candidates insist on repealing and replacing???


Just last week the Kansas supreme court ruled that State's educational funding practices is 'unconstitutional.' This ruling has the Kansas GOP Governor and his colleagues upset. Exactly! Many from the Republican political party wish to see our public schools become the underfunded learning centers for 'brown-face' people while lobbying for tax break-vouchers to send 'white' kids to private schools.
Let me get my head around this...cut welfare programs, cut school funding, reduce effectiveness of unions and repeal health benefits for the poor but DON'T cut our military budget. Oh, don't forget G. W. Bush's desire to do away with Social Security and have folks financially secure their retirement years with 401K's. Oh boy, that has proven sound!!!


I will say this...the Republican love affair with the NRA and the subsequent 'conceal and carry laws' being passed has me personally behaving better.  I elaborate:> Recently, I spent some time in Florida where I kept all my 'liberal' opinions to myself and out of any public-square-debate scenarios. I suspect everyone in Florida is carrying a gun and they can't wait to shoot your ass and then claim 'Stand Your Ground' as a defense.


Whoops, as I was preparing to post this blog, I heard a television commercial from that Bruce Rauner who is running for the GOP spot in the Illinois governor's race. Rauner said, if elected, he wants to put parents in charge of our (schools) education system...surely this silly, shallow pandering politician shits us!! His notion suggests that the biological drive to engage in coitus and propagate qualifies the participants to make educational decisions. Actually, the thought THAT occurs to me is birth control methods should be incorporated in the school curriculum!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment