Monday, March 31, 2014

A Place For Everything; Everything in Its Place

My wife and I have fifteen grandchildren, therefore one can just imagine the number of youth activities we attended over the years. I have seen my fair share of little league baseball, basketball, football, cross-country, volleyball and soccer contests. I have sat through tumbling, dance and cheer competition not to forget theater plays and piano recitals.  Most of the competitive sports activities will find me sitting by myself rather than next to family. My wife recently asked why I sit alone. Before I could answer the question, she was distracted by a passerby and she did not bring the issue to me again but she will. That said, I thought I'd run my reasoning by you readers first.


There are basically two reasons for this conscientious choice to be off by self at grandkids' sporting events. May I disclose the most logical reason without fanfare. I am a man of opinion and most often people (especially my adult children) prefer that I keep my opinions to myself. This is best accomplished if I am 'away-by-myself.'


The second force of separation from the 'gang 'at the old ball park is a bit more involved but let me give-it-a-go. Remember this Mark Twain quote? "When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the 'old-man' around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the 'old-man' had learned in seven years." Now, make no mistake, my adult children do not think that their old man is ignorant but they often do find me overbearing and sometimes I sense they are anxious thinking that I will say something in-front of their friends that could embarrass them or offend others.


Life comes full circle in this regards. When my children were very young, I sometimes feared that 'out-of-the-mouths' of babes etc. Today, the shoe is on the other foot. The seventy-five year old father has tossed candy-ass patronizing language to the wind; after-all, I must be expeditiously direct: I don't know how much time I have to make my point. My children may love me but I am easier loved from a distance.


...and my adult children are like most parents...they sure the hell don't wish to hear any critical comment about their kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment