Thursday, April 3, 2014

Best I Not 'DO' Facebook

When I read the return address on the large envelop, I knew immediately that my 'special' gift from a dear friend had arrived. I carefully opened the package and read the enclosed note card, "Dear Coach: Pretty darn fancy, I say." It was signed  "Enjoy, Anna." Anna was my Edwardsville high school basketball statistician during the State Team Tigers of 1976. We have stayed in touch over the years.
Several months ago, Anna sent some tie dye handkerchiefs for a gift. Most recently, my 10-year old granddaughter Alexa saw those tie dye hankies and made a tie dye bracelet for Anna. A few blogs ago, I made some off the cuff comment (difficult to believe, eh) about tie dye men's underwear to camouflage various stains...and now you know how Coach Mel got his tie dye skivvies!


The art of tie dye can be traced back to around 500-800 AD when people used the pigments from berries, flowers and leaves. Although, I am certain my friend does not use such primitive methods, I dare say, she would take a back seat to nobody, including modern techniques.


Of course, I immediately took off the underwear I was wearing and put on one of my 'new' tie dye undies. I moved quickly through our large home in search of my wife. As soon as she saw me she asked the question, "Will Anna bail you out of jail because I envision you showing off one day at the Mall and being arrested for indecent exposure?"


She may have a valid fear...these sure are neat Boy's Ventilated Drawers..







No comments:

Post a Comment