Friday, April 25, 2014

How Time and People Slip Away

I have the responsibility of addressing and mailing out Roustio Family Reunion fliers to some ninety families with relationship ties to the first generation Roustios who settled in French Village, East St. Louis and other communities within the Metro-East (St. Louis) Area. The first Roustio Reunion was held in 1949; I was ten years old...that's right this is the 65th Annual Family Gathering.


As I addressed envelopes last week, I seem to recognize fewer families and the 'connection.' This feeling has come full-circle. As a young boy, I was often confused trying to figure out who all those old grey-headed folks were at the reunion. Now, I have a dickens of a time figuring out to which branch current attendees belong.  I suppose we all relate to 'cousins' but someone's great uncle or third cousin removed is a brain strain. Therefore, I will get these fliers mailed out next week announcing the 65th Annual Roustio Reunion slated for Sunday, June 29, 2014.


I have decided to make a sincere effort to visit with all who show up and connect some dots. I also intend to identify one person, relative or non-relative who was significant in my past and then either write a note or telephone that individual. I just believe it would be a good, decent and worthy act.

No comments:

Post a Comment