Tuesday, April 22, 2014

That Was A Bit Ago

Recently, my wife and I received an invitation to a 50th high school class reunion. No, the reunion is not my high school nor my wife's school; nope, it is the 50th class reunion of the Assumption 'Comets,' my very first teaching/coaching assignment (school) from 1962-63-64.
 Upon graduation from Illinois State University (1961), I did not enter the teaching profession but instead, I joined my father's St. Louis based company, American Industrial Linings. It was a decision driven by a heartfelt-alliance but wrong-headed thinking. I was not prepared for a sales position in corrosion protection fabrication. After one year going through the motions, I made the right decision and entered the enterprise for which I had attended college; teaching/coaching.. I was eager to find something as soon as possible and jumped at the Assumption high school/junior high school job. That vacancy consisted of a junior high teaching assignment in geography, history and physical education while serving as high school head baseball coach and assistant football and basketball coach.



The two years Gerry and I spent with toddler son, Steve in Assumption, Illinois remains one of the greatest experiences of our nearly 54-years of marriage. Since moving to Decatur (23 miles North of Assumption) eighteen years ago, we reconnected with old Assumption friends from a half-century past. Unfortunately, we have said final goodbyes to several of those dear friends.


Our interaction in Assumption went beyond the teaching/friendship experiences. During the two summers (1963 and 1964), I conducted a youth morning baseball instructional camp and evening baseball league while Gerry conducted an afternoon youth-craft program. Our work and school involvement put us in contact with many of the 1300 Assumption residence. That said, Gerry and I look forward to May 24th this year when the Assumption high school class of 1964, will recall 'The Way They Were.'



Holy crap, those kids are now old farts, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment