Thursday, April 24, 2014

Let's Go !

I count my blessings daily! At the moment, my seventy-five year old body parts seem to be working and I still have car keys. My wife and I are blessed with three adult children, 15 grandchildren and soon to be a second great-grandchild. Those blessings even have icing-on-top; the activities of the grandkids cause two happy and proud grandparents to jump in the auto and go to the next activity.


Over the years, I logged many hours at dance recitals, plays, football games, basketball games, soccer matches, baseball games, volleyball matches, gymnastics and cheerleaders being tossed high into the air. Personally, I have never re-lived (vicariously) through children and grandchildren sport play. That said, anybody who ever engaged in an activity as a child (young adult) will relate for a lifetime what that activity means to the youth who embrace it in the moment. I know that connective-feeling of a basketball leaving the finger-tips and the follow-up snap-swish of the goal net; I know the feeling of the baseball meeting the bat on-the-sweet spot and I relate to the downward action of a pitched curve ball.



This week's Nana & Boompa schedule had us at the University of Illinois Tuesday night watching our grandson's Eastern Illinois University baseball team then traveling to Granite City yesterday for another grandson's baseball game before spending this weekend attending EIU baseball games in Charleston. Next week, I will load up the auto for a five day stay in Barrington and take in yet another grandson's baseball games at Barrington high school.
I have many feelings, opinions and attitudes about those games I played. I do my best to keep my thoughts to myself; I help insure that approach by 'sitting AWAY from parents and other family members. Once in a while, I do remind some that sport DOES NOT define self-worth...it just affords the opportunity to find out a helluva lot about your 'WILL.'


PS. I do give sport skill-technique-advise to my grandsons but I sometimes wonder if they pay much attention to this old man...I think I can help but then I may be suspended in my own time-warp.

No comments:

Post a Comment