Tuesday, April 29, 2014

We Are Filled With Self

A few days ago, I was speaking with a gentleman who was sharing with me his concerns about his church-people needing to come-together and agree on hiring a new minister. Readers, I am seventy-five years old and my early 'church' memories go back seventy years when my family was always dragging me into the Methodist Church for worship, prayer meetings, revivals, Sunday School Vacation Bible School, church potlucks and or ice cream socials. The Roustios were always in and around the Church House. My maternal grandmother, Mammy Bennett was the driving religious force in our family.


I suppose I have heard every type of preacher man who ever embraced the spreading of the Gospel. I have listened to the hell-fire-damnation sermons, the feel good messages and the membership drive and tithing charges over and over. I have observed my Methodist folks and every other Church doctrine practitioners fuss and fight over their 'own' worship ways and perceptions of 'how religion should be.'  Suffice to say, the world has likely experienced more fighting over religion than any other particular issue. That condescending religious unrest is often found in local sanctuaries  as members fight over their own desires to impose their Biblical interpretations and how the pastor presents and serves. Some of these back-biting church folks 'think' they are serving Jesus Christ when in fact they are all foolish to believe that Jesus Christ needs any thing we could supply; He is omnipotent. Christ simply asked of us three request: (1) Confess me as your Savior (2) love one another as I have loved you and (3) do for the least of my people.  
Church folks are much like high school basketball fans; they are passerby experts without significant investment.


Can I get an AMEN?

No comments:

Post a Comment