Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Have It Your Way; I Did

A neighborhood seventeen year-old lad was helping me with yard work recently and shared the following: He told me that his upcoming high school Junior-Senior Prom was costing him a lot. He elaborated beginning with his tux rental cost at $179.00. He seemed blown away by the wrist corsage cost of $45.00. I didn't ask any questions about additional costs because he was using hedge trimmers at the particular time. I did recall my high school senior year remembering that gasoline sold for .24 cents per gallon and I believe you could buy a nice men's sport coat for about $19.00.


I think that two Prom factors have changed drastically over the years: (1) price/cost factors and (2) behavior expectations.


My high school prom of some 57 years ago would be chump-change compared to today's Prom expenses. I recall formal attire with boy's dressed in tuxes and young girls in formals. The corsages and boutonnieres were necessary accessories and the pre-dance meal attended in groups seems to have survived the many years. I don't recall any big deal with post-prom parties. Perhaps I was in the jock-nerd crowd and was not into that party-scene, if indeed it existed. I do remember my parents expected me home at a most reasonable hour...perhaps before 1:00 AM.


As a parent, I felt the strains of change as I had to 'hold-the-line' with my teenage children who were constantly explaining to me how out-of-touch I was raising kids. I was told over and over 'what other kids' were allowed to do on such special occasions, i.e., Prom / Homecoming / Graduation. I always championed myself on winning these parent-child standoffs; I refused to be 'educated' by people living under a roof they were not supporting. I offer the following as my personal success story, which was supported every way by my wife: our three adult children who turned out just fine.


I think many parents today assume a more matter-of-fact (these kids are going to do it) attitude. In some instances the parents arrange post Prom Parties with alcohol and supervised controls just as they make sure their teen children have necessary birth control usage.
I suppose the issue of change offers fodder for debating the question: Is the 1950's Puritanical-Parenting approach unrealistic and phony denial or is the 2014, parental approach simply an enabling-throw-in-the-towel.


I'm glad my 2014 problem is too much ivy growing over my sidewalks...at least I will not need to get on hands and knees to trim it; my neighborhood boy needs Prom Money!


Don't we just love 'spell check' on our computers...I would never have included the word 'boutonnieres' in a blog without 'spell check.'

No comments:

Post a Comment