Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Indeed...A Best Friend

I appreciate the opinion of those who don't like dogs; I just don't understand it.  I acknowledge the possibility that some people may have allergies to animals but that aside, I 'scratch' (no pun intended) my head wondering why it is that many people simply don't like dogs. Okay, I imagine some could fear the larger-menacing dog or perhaps suffered a youth-biting experience, which causes reluctance embracing any pooch.


Personally, I had a family dog most of my youth and only a few brief periods in our 54-married years have my wife I not had a pup.    I readily recall my adolescent years when parental-discipline or peer relationship issues would cause one of those pout sit-on-the--front-steps moments and talk aloud to self as a little boy attempted to sort-things-out...always nearby was 'my' best friend, my dog. He would cock his head from side-to-side as I went on and on with my gibber-jabber. He seemed to sense my companionship need and patiently waited for my next move or beckoning.
 I have read many studies about the health benefits coming with a dog. I never needed a medical study or a  physician to convince me of those dog-ownership health advantages; some things you just get a 'feeling' and know without doubt: THIS IS RIGHT; THIS IS GOOD.
Today our four bedroom home is occupied by two seniors in their seventh decade and a seven pound toy poodle named, 'Yodie.' Without a doubt, we are a 'pack.' Yodie usually goes with us anytime we get in the auto. On those occasions when left behind, he comes 'unglued' with tale-wagging, uncontrollable hind-end wiggling upon our return home. Within minutes, Yodie is at my feet with his rubber duck enticing me to get down on the floor and wrestle for control of the squeak-toy. There are those times sitting in my easy chair with lap top positioned when I feel a distinct scratching of a small paw against my leg. As I move the portable computer to side, the pup quickly seizes the opening to jump up and stake out a piece of the chair next to his buddy.
I suppose the greatest joy this little dog brings occurs with the start of each day. You see, Yodie sleeps on our bed near the foot. Every morning I wake up with this 'God Wink' rubbing his head against mine and find him wagging tale and wiggling body with the excitement of overwhelming joy. He appears to be surprised and overjoyed that we have another day to share and at that moment, my wife's fibromyalgia eases while my arthritis from three back surgeries disappears...perhaps those medical studies about 'Fido' are right on!
It is said, "If you wake up to a good start, your days holds potential for joy and miracles." I have a seven-pound fluffy friend that is a day-breaking joy-producing enabler.

No comments:

Post a Comment