Friday, May 9, 2014

Honor, Respect & Promise

Most media outlets picked up on NBA player, Kevin Durant's 25-minute MVP award acceptance speech much of which turned into a salute to the sacrifices made by his 'Mom'. Obviously, Durant's accolades are special for a special talent but his humility and praise for his mother were more important to him in the moment. Good for a son and good for a mother.


The thought occurs to me that most every individual should take note this Mother's Day Sunday and steal Durant's script; one need not be a super star to pause and give thanks to the lady (mother) who did the most for you in life's journey. My maternal grandmother, Mammy was always preaching that Bible verse Ephesians 6:2: "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honor your father and mother (which is the first commandment with a promise) so that it may be well with you, and that you may live long on the earth."


Truth be told, I cannot count the times each day that I 'think:' 'Oh, I need to telephone Mom.' She died a year and a half ago. I wonder if I will die before that 'urge' to call her dies.


I find myself constantly preaching at my grandkids to 'respect and honor' their parents, especially their mothers because I believe our mothers are mankind's greatest gift. Mammy's message sunk-in with me; I think this is NOT the case with my grandchildren...perhaps I am just a poor preacher.


I will take special note of my wife's motherhood sacrifices this Sunday and then pick a private moment to give my thanks to the Lord for my mother... as I allow my thoughts to 'fly across the years' and recall those childhood memories.


Thanks, Mammy.

No comments:

Post a Comment