Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Shall I Be Honest?

Good day yesterday; spent some quality time with one branch of the family and some of 'their' kids. It's always nice to have our grown-married children give up time and travel to our house to share. Our children have always been good to include us and shown respect as they make those trips on special holidays and other occasions. I shall forever be grateful.  I would be quick, nevertheless, to note that as some of the grandkids get 'older' a visit to grandparents' house ain't what it use to be. Actually, the grandparent scene does not change  but teenage hormones and their accompanying social possibilities drastically change and perceived 'FUN' is altered accordingly.


Once in awhile a grandchild will give off indications that they are not particularly 'pleased' having to make the trek to the old folks quarters. I never allow such moments to 'slip-by' without commenting; after all, I wish to have a very honest and open-relationship with that particular generation. I quickly explain to the unhappy grandkid that he/she should never feel obligated to come to my house. It is wonderful to see and visit with any of the grandchildren however, when I sense an unwillingness to engage it congers up the lyrics of a song from the early 1950's;  "I got along without you before I met you gonna get along without you now." (Note: It is important that I make it perfectly clear to these kids that I am unlike their parents in so far as I don't define my life through their happiness).


The relationship-reality is: I reach out to all my grandkids with the same interest and love...the grandkids that reach back receive more attention from me; 'THAT'S LIFE.'

No comments:

Post a Comment