Thursday, May 1, 2014

Trusting Old Folks?



My wife and I were recently babysitting some Barrington, Illinois grandkids. Barrington would be in the Chicago Northwest Suburbs. Actually, we were really babysitting one of seven children all of whom were begotten by our oldest daughter and our first son in-law. The six older kids are most capable handling their business. The eldest of their children is 'out' on her own, teaching while two other kids are attending college and three are still on various steps of the public school escalator. I truly believe my wife and I are recruited for this job to cook meals, serve as taxi and provide hoorays.


I am somewhat surprised that we were asked to do this baby-watching thing again. The last time we assumed the Barrington  responsibility, we 'lost' the then 2 year old... relax, we found her; actually, she 'suddenly showed-up.' What happened that eventful day unfolded this way: The older siblings left for school one morning and my wife and I had been preoccupied when we look at one another and simultaneously asked, "Where's Ashlyn?" We  then hit the panic button when realizing that one door to the 22-room home was open. We both ran wildly about the large  home with a five car garage and lower-level swimming pool.  I must also tell you that there is a lake within 100 yards...talk about a mental-paralysis moment!!


After about 8-to-10 minutes scurrying from room-to-room, I told my wife, "Telephone the police." Two police officers showed up promptly and the inside search continued with one officer while the second officer began an outside 'look.' My wife was beside herself and I was certain I would have a stroke at any moment!


After about 18 minutes of the futile exercise, Ashlyn appeared at the top of a long winding staircase where she smiled and waved at her grandparents and officer below. She had been hiding from us; unwilling to answer and obviously enjoying her relocating from room-to-room during the little hide and seek game. I note this visit we had three different older siblings assigned to stay home-from-school to help entertain the three-year old; actually, I think each older kid was told to 'keep and eye on the old folks.'


 I am convinced, when grandparents hit their mid-seventies, it's a crap shoot for  their children to ask them to babysit!! I shall graciously embrace and accept that babysitting job 'rejection' day.

No comments:

Post a Comment