Thursday, May 29, 2014

What Have They Done To My School?

A true and trusted friend who is also a professional provider, often tells me that I go overboard with education-teaching  'rants.' Perhaps he is correct, however, I would ask him if at any time this week did an individual come to him for service and threaten to slap him? One of my family members, who teaches, was the target of such a physical threat. Given the sick societal climate, I find this worthy of a rant; permission not required.


A quick comparison of the public schools (then & now) perhaps lends light to reasons for some problems. I went through the public school system in the 1940's and 1950's; that's approximately sixty-years ago. What's changed? Glad you asked? I walked to my grade school and rode the city bus to my high school. The only time I got on a (yellow) school bus was to go on a field trip or athletic event. Today most children are picked up just steps from their front door. I took a brown bag lunch or ate the cafeteria lady's 'choice.' No complaints were entertained. I understood the parameters and corporal punishment application. All neighborhood parents supported teachers back then. The only service people supported today are military and firemen.


The gym teachers made us do activities that caused us to sweat. Today's physical education teachers know-better! Come to recall, not many fat kids in my grade school class photos. Upon arriving at my school, back-in-the-day, I went to either a cloak room or locker; my grandchildren today are required to pass through metal detectors. Teachers were once the hall monitors during moments children were in hallways; today those teachers rely on 'back-up' from one or more uniformed (police) security officers.


My school system offered courses that prepared kids to graduate and enter either college or the work force. Today's public school's educational philosophy ignores marketable skills' development because we have some crazy-ass notion that 'No Child' should be left behind regardless of his behavior or unwillingness to cooperate and learn, in fact, we think THAT kid should take the necessary high school courses to enter college.


Only the private schools, today, can dismiss a student from school because of refusal to follow simple rules. The public schools must hold hearings and negotiate a maze of paper work before removing a student from school.


My grade school had monthly fire drills; my grade school neighbor kid tells me they have gun-shooting intruder drills twice a month...I don't think twice a month is enough!


God forbid a community from 'passing' a school tax vote...just hold those underfunded teachers accountable for those turd-blossoms dumped at the public school door steps at age five. Many parents are morons; they expect teachers to 'make chicken-salad out-of-chicken-feathers.' I cleaned that saying UP a bit for you better souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment