Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Silence Ain't Always Golden

Sitting on the backyard swing a few nights ago, I looked around and could 'see' nobody else outside. People don't sit outside on swings or porches as in those pre-air conditioned days gone bye. Consequently, we don't neighbor-socialize very often. Heavens sakes, I don't have a clue what occupations live nearby and I don't know if anyone recently had gall-bladder surgery.


I suspect today's fascination with 'inside' comforts and electronics deprives youngsters from developing the art of catching lightning bugs, knowing how to use a fly-swatter or taking turns on a homemade ice cream making-crank-handle. It has been many years since hearing kids yell, "1-2-3 on so-and-so" as they play hide and seek. Perhaps that will soon change because a young family recently moved into the house next door and I count four young children...I hope the sounds of yesteryear return.

No comments:

Post a Comment