Monday, May 12, 2014

Oh, My Aching Back

I have osteoarthritis in my right hip and arthritis in my lower back and both knees; I am NOT complaining, I just share the condition fact of a seventy-five year old man. Why would I not have these arthritic issues given the reality of my athletic participation history three spinal surgeries and a continuation of a cardiovascular walking program. Seems that we often times put ourselves between the rock and hard place as we 'buy' one health-problem circumstance attempting to avoid a pending DNA health-problem possibility.


I am not a pill chaser but occasionally, I have paid attention to the many pain-medication offerings, which are repeatedly advertised on television. I am aware that most family doctors report that about 30% of the prescription they write are patient-requested, I entertain the temptation. Please know that physicians, attorneys and the pharmaceutical advertisements are still new to this old boy; this type of money seeking greed was unprofessional to my parent's generation and my youth.


Since daily arthritic pain is an attention-getter, I have begun jotting down some of the 'new' pills to address the problem. I believe eventually, my choice will be determined by the process of elimination of the number of side-affects.


The first drug I checked-out warned that I could experience difficulty breathing or 'in rare instances death occurs. A second pill comes with the a caution that I may experience depression with occasional nose bleeds, and thoughts of suicide. Then there is another high-powered sure-cure pill that increases body weight and causes an insatiable appetite for crunchy peanut-butter and Captain Crunch cereal.


I must stop now so that I can get my 40-minute walk in before the rain comes. I'll grab a couple of Tylenol upon my return.

No comments:

Post a Comment