Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Somethings Best Enjoyed Alone

I was a confident athlete and in my professional coaching career, I was likewise a confident mentor. I know this because I had no other options as a boy growing up in Mel Roustio Sr's home. My father was a stickler on me demonstrating humility, cooperation, teamwork and hustle at all times. He would compliment me but stop short of 'praise.' I suppose he had some notion that my behavior and attitude reflected upon his name. I got it and I got it at about age 10. My father was always pointing out areas in which I could improve or contribute more. I recall once when I scored 25 points in a high school basketball game and got up early the next morning before my Dad left for work...I thought I could soak-in some accolades from my hero. He said, "You shot the ball pretty good last night but you could do a lot more to help your team in the rebounding department." It was like that always...I got it!


When I coached my son, I was careful to not stroke his ego too much; actually, I was harder on him than other players.
 As a grandfather, I never sit near others at the grandchildren sporting activities. I am simply uninterested in what others have to say about the game or my grandchild's play and I don't need to point out to others my opinions!!!


I have watched grandchildren perform at top flight levels as high school athletes, Big 10 cheerleader and collegiate players. I am proud of their respective accomplishments and I tell them. Recently, I have enjoyed grandson, Caleb Howell's baseball accomplishments at Eastern Illinois University. I share only his NCAA accomplishments with family and a few close friends. I understand that not everyone is interested and sadly some suffer jealous envy.

No comments:

Post a Comment