Friday, May 23, 2014

Too Little; Too Late

My wife and I accepted a St. Louis Cardinals' game invitation from good Decatur friends who are season ticket holders. It is the second consecutive year that our friends have extended the kindness. They picked us up in their motor home at two o'clock in the afternoon and another couple was already on board as we headed to the river city, the home of baseball Heaven and the beer--wagon-pulling Clydesdale's.


The questionable weather dissipated before game time and the three couples enjoyed a pre-game dinner @ Joe Buck's before a quick Ball Park Village walk-thru and first pitch. The Arizona Diamondbacks were earnest competitors as they battled the Redbirds into the 12th inning. In the top of the 11th inning, a visiting batter fouled a pitch over the home plate backstop directly headed for this old man.
I can tell you as a lad of 10-to-17 years of age, I dreamed of catching baseballs at old Sportsman's Park the home grounds of Musial, Marion, Slaughter and other boyhood heroes. A brief opportunity appeared for me at the close of my East St. Louis high school senior baseball campaign. A local Cardinals' scout asked if I'd like to report to some rookie league...the offer was $1,500.00 and no guarantees after to summer play. I said, "No thanks" and headed to college.


Here I was some fifty-seven years removed from that moment-in-time and suddenly my opportunity to 'make a play' was at hand. I confidently reached into the air (no glove needed) and snared the souvenir ball. Within moments a nearby stadium usher approached me. He was on a mission. It appears that my shag of the mid-air ball qualifies me to receive an honorary Cardinals 'contract.'


I gave the usher my personal information and he told me that my contract will soon arrive in the mail...no mention of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment