Friday, July 4, 2014

Birdies and Backyard Dilemma

My wife and I love our large backyard. It contains several flower beds. My wife is a flower-freak. I know little about caring for flowers but I do appreciate the beauty of our Roses, Daisies, Flags, Tiger Lillie's, Peonies and several other varities, which I cannot identify. We have birds-a-plenty; Robins, various Sparrow varieties, Blue Jays, Golden Finches, House Finches, Doves and Cardinals. In fact, in a rather small flower pot just two feet outside our kitchen window and next to the back door to the yard, a Cardinal couple is caring for three baby birds only four days old.


Another wonderful aspect of our backyard is the fact it is fenced. We can just open the back door and Poodle, Yodie can head out, explore and do his things. The only time I must be vigil when Yodie in the backyard alone is during the winter months when the Coyotes are closer to our neighborhood seeking food.


The backyard contains an arbor, which highlights a ice cream table-set salvaged from days gone by from the 'Gas Light District' in St. Louis, Missouri. We have a comfortable three-seat-swing, two wrought iron tables on patios and a pond with fountain. Our backyard is shaded by three large Ash trees. Needless to say, the backyard is a peaceful and serene setting, however it is off limits to me. My wife tells me that as soon as the mother Redbird has her chicks grown and ready to leave the nest, I can go to the backyard. Meanwhile, I sit in the sunroom looking out the window envying that, which I cannot embrace. Hope those baby Redbirds, 'Ducky, Dizzy and Daffy' are quick learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment