Friday, July 11, 2014

You Can't Run Away From It

When I was perhaps 12 or thirteen my East St. Louis neighborhood buddies would join me summer evenings under street lights and story swap or decide to do some 'stupid' stuff. A few of the more popular juvenile engagements was telephoning local taxi cab companies for bogus pick ups. Of course it was usually a call to some girls house. Another summer-evening pass time was throwing hedge apples at city buses or water balloons at passenger cars stopped at intersections.


Of course, most young boys don't think through consequences of their actions. I certainly recall one such evening when I failed to do a quick study of the groups individual break down of 'foot-speed.' Let me take you back to that moment. Me and two friends were hanging out at a major intersection one evening. We decided to get some rubber balloons at Gruber's Drug Store and then climb through the bathroom window of Leo Klimas' Tavern and fill the balloons with water. We then stood at the corner of Kings Highway and Caseyville Avenue and blast open window autos as they made their stop. One of the guys did not pay attention to the occupants of one car. That car was occupied by three guys perhaps three or four years our senior. As we realized who was 'hit,' we took off running from some pissed of older stud boys. As I am chugging down the alley, I could see the headlights turn in after me. I began cutting through yards attempting to elude a certain ass-kicking. Suddenly, I realized why these guys are chasing me and not the other two friends...I was the slowest runner. I did not think things through ! Finally, I tripped over a wire about ankle high placed around a garden. I fell flat into the mud between some corn and tomato plants. I knew those pursuing could not hearing me breathing because I believe I had stopped; I was afraid they hear my heart pounding.


This brings me to my point. Recently, the nutty political right-wingers have been calling for President Obama's impeachment. Never mind that a President must be guilty of high crimes or treason before he can be impeached. Those Tea Party idiots enjoy throwing hedge apples and water balloons. What they have not thought through is the consequences awaiting in 2016; a ass-kicking is coming !

No comments:

Post a Comment