Monday, July 28, 2014

Thanks for the Love

I suppose that during my coaching career, I coached over 400 basketball players. As the years pass, I would lose contact with most of those players as they pursued their careers, married and raised families. perhaps a couple of dozen stayed in contact with Christmas cards and an occasional telephone call.
It always delights me to hear from one of my 'guys.' You can imagine my shear joy this Friday past when my cell phone rang and a voice at the other end said, "Coach, it's 'Hot Chocolate' and I am standing on your front porch in Decatur; where are you?" I was returning from another community where my grandson was playing in a baseball tournament.


'Hot Chocolate' is Michael Hammonds, a member of our 1976 Edwardsville high school State Basketball Team. Today, Michael lives in Houston, Texas. Michael got the nickname 'Hot Chocolate' from the singing group of the same name, which had a hit song, "You Sexy Thing" back in 1976. That song was constantly sung by Michael throughout the season; it became our team's rallying song, if you will. I am sure that anytime one of those 55-year old former players hear that tune (today) they pause and smile with wonderful recollections.


The special thing about that '76 team, aside from breaking a 20-year drought to make the 'Sweet 16" was that team's genuine respect, appreciation and caring for each other; an unusual trademark found in prep boys' basketball teams. It was Michael 'Hot Chocolate' who epitomized the group's up-beat personality. Michael was not the leading scorer nor the leading rebound guy but many 'Tigers' fans would make a case that Michael could be considered as an MVP candidate. We never 'started' Michael. It may sound corny or insincere but Michael was too valuable coming off the bench...the reasons: speed, defense and a guaranteed contagious spirited passion in his up-tempo play!


'Hot Chocolate, thanks for the effort and contribution back in the day and from the bottom of an old coach's heart God Bless you for giving the warmth of your love and respect. Michael, you should know that when I said goodbye to you in the front yard, I then walked into the house to see my wife and forty-seven year old daughter with tears in their eyes...you struck a nerve and touched hearts.







































































No comments:

Post a Comment