Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Change Came to My World

These days, I wait in a fast-foot drive thru lane or inside at the counter to purchase processed packaged foods likely prepared thousands of miles from my belly. Once I jumped from my front porch to purchase hot tamales from some push-cart fella who lived blocks away from me. I can close my eyes and hear the roving newspaper boy winding his way up & down neighborhood streets calling out, "Paper, Morning Globe! Today, I extract a few news items from the television and my smart phone.


Two days ago, I needed gasoline for the auto and drove a few blocks to a 'convenient store,' which offered gasoline and a variety of  tobacco products, beer/liquor and edibles....the experience did not resemble 'convenient' in any fashion ! That evening I took my wife to a movie  and heard some actor tell her grown children (characters), "Your late father was really HUNG." I suppose that Deborah Kerr thought that of her leading man Cary Grant; why else did they spend so much time in their ship's cabin, in the movie, An Affair to Remember," however she never mentioned it to the movie goers.


Multi-millionaire pro baseball players are a far kin to those players of my childhood who worked at off-season jobs to make ends meet, i.e., today's school teachers. It's been many years since a preacher-man has told me that you go to hell for eternity if you don't repent and live right. Today's pulpit-prophet knows better than to say something so negative and bold, why, if he should suggest that he could 'color-me-gone-from-my-back-row-pew the next Sunday!


I see all kinds of depictions of "REAL Housewives" played out on television shows. Those ladies don't resemble the REAL housewives I knew growing up. I recall ringer-washers and my mother hanging clothes on a line in the backyard to dry. That was part of Monday's real life and Tuesday found her standing for hours over a hot iron pressing starched shirts and other clothing. She had a great supper for all the family around 5:30PM and by the time she hand washed and hand dried the dishes it was about 7:00PM just in time to sit a spell with the family and watch television shows; 'Father Knows Best, 'Red Skelton and Milton Berle. I recall Red Skelton telling viewers at the close of each show that "If I hurt anybody's feelings or offended anybody, I am sorry." Today, I see prime time 'dry-humping' and hear language once reserved for pool rooms and back alleys. I wonder what my grandchildren will remember fifty years from this morning?

No comments:

Post a Comment