Monday, July 21, 2014

The Game Should Trump Ego

This past Saturday, I was watching the Cardinals-Dodgers baseball game on television. The broadcasters were Dan McLaughlin and former major league player, Tim McCarver. I was struck by a conversation exchange between the two and perhaps found that which was inferred more poignant than that which was said.
McLaughlin noted the astronomical combined salaries of the Los Angeles Dodgers and said the following: "Tim, considering that Dodgers' manager, Don Mattingly played the game of baseball all-out and intense and often back pain; I just wonder how difficult it is for him to manage this Dodgers' team?" McCarver said, "Well, all managers today must think young if they are going to survive."
The comment seems to acknowledge and accept that players today, do not play with the same intensity as their predecessor. It would also seem that todays' baseball managers must try to please twenty-five players instead of twenty-five players busting their collective asses trying to please the 'boss.'
For good measure throw this ditty into your brain-mixer: It is widely known that recently, the LA Lakers basketball team 'held-off' hiring a head coach waiting to see if they landed either LaBron James or Carmello Anthony. The reason: If those players may have wanted to name the coach in order to obtain them; ownership was giving them THAT power.
I began coaching high school basketball in 1962.  Thirty nine years later, I came home from practice one evening and spoke this words to my wife: "Gerry, over the years these kids (players) have changed and I have made some changes along the way. I cannot and will not change anymore without losing my identity; I am calling it quits after this season."

No comments:

Post a Comment