Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Lost In The 21st Century

Recently, I had a computer  guru come to my home and set up a printer, cleanup my laptop and checkout my security. I am totally 'lost' when it comes to negotiating the Internet waters. Actually, I get derailed if the machine has more 'moving-parts' than a banana.


I will not make cry-baby excuses because I should get off my butt and take a computer course. I rationalize not taking such a course by saying, "Well, I only do email, write a blog and search the Internet." I must confess that I am a product of those days when you purchased a 'black & white' television, brought it home and plugged it into the electrical outlet. You turned the on-off knob and enjoyed a choice of three channels. Of course you also purchased 'rabbit ears' (antenna) and attached it to two screws in the back of the TV set. Then you went to the kitchen and got two strips of aluminum foil to wrap around the antenna...BINGO, Friday, Gillette boxing, Saturday morning cowboy shows and week day afternoon, Dick Clark's American Bandstand. Life was simple and believe me, television programs were a  hellava lot better.


A few months ago, I purchased a new $1200.00 flat screen television set and needed to have my cable network provider come to the house and hook up some little black box to the TV set. Before that, I was on the telephone with some one from Philippines getting my 'code' registered or some crap. This is the second time in my life that I depended on a person from the Philippines to assist my American experience. The first time was a few years ago when I had issues with my check book routing numbers; I telephoned my personal banker and he gave me the telephone number for someone in the Philippines to straighten out my American finances! What-a-country!

No comments:

Post a Comment