Thursday, May 19, 2016

Any Given Sunday

This past Sunday, I was sitting in the back Church pew before service began, when the Preacher approached me and spoke, "And here sits Mel Roustio in the back pew." I answered and said, "Rev., do you realize how early a fella has to get here to get these premium seats?" Never to be bested in a verbal exchange the Pastor said, "Mel, next week get here a little later and walk right down to the front, I'll be looking for you." You know, people are funny. They want to sit in the front row at concerts and sporting events but in the back pew at Church.

As a lifetime Methodist Church attendee, I can assure you that there are some unwritten Sunday morning rules in my house of worship and perhaps you can relate. I find most Church-folks very polite, kind and happy in spirit until you sit in THEIR pew spot; they don't cotton to be that. Some people can squirm in those pews when the sermon is about tithing or volunteering to teach a Sunday School Class, sing in the choir or serve as liturgist.

We've all noticed that people say they wish to serve God but too often we are guilty serving as only an adviser.

At the end of the sermon folks line up and shake hands with the preacher as they exit the sanctuary. Sometimes that can be an awkward moment as folks struggle to find something meaningful  to say to the pastor. I never did like telling the preacher, "Good sermon." That takes on the tone of a critic or judge. Thank the Lord it was not required of me to stand at the gym exit and shake hands with fans leaving the basketball game I just coached.

I've noticed another great obvious fact...Sunday mornings across the Nation just may be the most segregated day of the week. And...every Church is guilty of that reality

Some Christian folks surely can be judgmental. They are looking for the 'perfect' Church and 'perfect' pastor...I always felt that if my Church and Pastor were perfect, I couldn't belong.


No comments:

Post a Comment