Saturday, May 21, 2016

Grateful for the Chat

A couple of weeks ago, I was putting some finishing touches on a front yard project when a seventh grade neighbor boy walked up the drive with a notebook and pencil in hand. My first thought was hoping he was selling 'good' candies or cookies and not magazines. To my surprise, the lad asked if I'd help with a research-paper he was writing.

I invited the boy up to the front porch where we both sat on a bench to continue the chat. It appeared that his teacher wanted the class to identify three retired people and ask them what they 'did' for a living, why they chose their occupation and had they not done THAT what would they have done?
I suppose the subliminal message for the youngsters was giving serious thought to follow your passion or dreams.

Without going into great detail in this writing, I told the boy that I had a chance to sign a pro baseball contract after high school that would have rendered little money and likely a brief visit to the minor leagues. I chose to go to college in hopes of pursuing an education but believing that the pro baseball offer would improve as I improved. An arm injury changed my directions and I got serious about coaching. I spent thirty-nine years coaching baseball, basketball, cross country and football. Given the chance, I do it all over again.

HOWEVER...Had coaching not been an option, I would have explored  the field of broadcasting-communications. I had a taste of that life working part-time for WLDS radio in Jacksonville.

Before my young friend bolted from the porch, I got my two-cent sermon in about him finding happiness doing that for which he will have a passion and find a pathway to serve God's people.

I sure do hope it comes together for the boy...both the research paper and his journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment