Saturday, May 14, 2016

If You Don't Mind

I have never thought of myself as an evangelical yet I have embraced and experienced many elements  professed by that 'Christian movement.' Perhaps, I am not big on 'labels.' I do consider myself a liberal-democrat but there are many liberal-democrats with whom I cannot agree with on issues and likewise the same can be said with the evangelicals.

Before going further into my 'rant,' I wish to share a workable definition of Evangelicalism. It is a worldwide Protestant-Christianity movement, which maintains the doctrine of salvation in God's Grace through faith in Jesus Christ. Evangelicals believe in the 'conversion' experience. The public acknowledgement of confession of sin to receive the 'born again' (in Christ) experience.

I remember that first personal experience when a young 13-year old Mel went to the alter at First Methodist Church in East St. Louis, Illinois. I confessed my sinful ways and the need for Christ in my life. Since that time, I have sinned and I frequently go to the Church's alter to re-commit. I am a Work-in-progress Christian.

One other staple of evangelicalism is 'spreading the message' of Christ. Hold that thought, please.

I do believe that people of faith should offer their voices in the public square and organize as they wish to push their agendas. It does disturb me when in this country, which boasts and claims freedoms for all finds many evangelicals that want to have 'their' way over all other faiths. When a nation has a free/secular society (and we do as guaranteed by the Constitution) it cannot favor 'one' faith over all others. Few evangelicals ware willing to accept that reality. Some of these people are bull-headed with the misguided thinking that God 'favors' THEM and THEIR beliefs.

I am displeased with preachers telling me or suggesting to me how I should 'vote' on issues and/or candidates. Just as I find it fraudulent for any clergy to dare suggest which people or groups are worthy of charities. There was but one omnipotent 'Being' to ever walk this earth and He died on a cross for us to have a pathway to eternal life. I shall let that 'omnipotent-ONE' speak to my heart on these aforementioned matters. Okay, now that thought I asked you to hold. Since the media always likes to tell us what the 'exit polls' revealed regarding the 'evangelical vote,' ask yourself this question for the remainder of this political campaign cycle: Which candidates' speech and language sounds most like a 'message' Jesus Christ would like spread?

No comments:

Post a Comment