Monday, May 30, 2016

The Scribe /The Coach

I had an early introduction to the 'sports' writer' from the now defunct East St. Louis Journal. Growing up in that river city, I experienced extensive sports' coverage in Jaycee Baseball Leagues (Youth Leagues) 10-17 years old, Legion Baseball and a multitude of high school sports teams from numerous conferences. Suffice it to state that East St. Louis youth who played sports dealt with the sports' writers early and frequently.

I suppose the first time I was aware that there could be tension between scribe and player was when Hall of Famer and Boston's great hitter, Ted Williams and sports' writers aired their differences in news print. The 'Splendid Splinter' never backed off an opinion and truly embraced those opinions, which were at odds with the baseball media. Sports writers at the Journal, St. Louis Post and Globe and later the Bloomington Pantagraph were kind to me as they covered my playing days. The relationship seemed normal as my role changed from athlete to 'coach.'

As 'Coach,' I always shared with my local sports media (newspaper/radio) pre-season and pre-game approaches. I was not looking for their endorsement, I simply wanted to give reasons 'why' before the fact.

I always viewed the sports writer with two perspectives: (1) He likely already had a 'story slant' when approaching me in person or via the telephone. That said, it behooved me to be quick asserting 'the slant' of his storyline and then to take my desired slant by giving quotes that changed the direction. (2) I always believed that a respectful relationship with local scribes would ultimately be beneficial to building my program.

Reflecting on those bridges, I can state unequivocally that the Jacksonville Journal, State Journal-Register, Bloomington Panatgrapgh, Post Dispatch, Alton Telegraph, Chicago Tribune, Champaign News Gazette, Decatur Herald/Review, Decatur Tribune and others 'sold' many of my books while promoting endless speaking engagements.

On a local level, the late Jerry Symons (WEAI Jacksonville) and Buford Green (Jacksonville Courier) willingly teamed with me to establish The JHS Hall of Fame, West Central All Star Basketball Game, Rotary Scholar-Athhlete.

A wise coach views the sports media as potential partners and a smart sports' writer doesn't coach but promotes amateur sports.


No comments:

Post a Comment