Thursday, May 12, 2016

What Love Looks Like

Despite these aging bones, I still enjoy getting my hands dirty in God's earth. I trim my yard, cut and bag my grass and put in a small veggie garden. I always enjoyed sweating and toiling in the warm sun. I think is goes back to my non-air conditioned youth and the endless sandlot/blacktop sport games of baseball and basketball. There is one job I can no longer handle due to a cranky back. I don't 'bend' to weed out the flower beds or rocked walk ways.

There are two home schooled young boys three doors south on my street. Nathan is 14 and brother Caleb is 10. I have never met two youngsters so well mannered, respectful and with such willing work ethic. I have hired the two lads on perhaps four different occasions to do some weeding, leaf-raking and block carrying for me as I built a fountain flower bed. I pay each boy $8.00 per hour and often times give them an added tip. The brothers have three other siblings one of which is a new born baby girl.

Yesterday afternoon, my wife was visiting with Nathan and Caleb's mother, Jessica. Gerry told Jessica that she enjoys having the boys do work for us because they are so well mannered and good workers. The mother shared with my wife that every time they work at our house they come home sharing a story or comment from Gerry. It seems they have found a friend in my wife.

My wife shared this footnote. She told me that Jessica said that when Caleb returned home with $16.00. He immediately put $1.60 (Church tithe money) in a jar on his desk. Caleb then handed his mother a five dollar bill and said, 'Mom, for Mother's Day, I want you to buy those cookies for yourself that you like so much."

Just imagine the joy and happiness awaiting these youngsters as they grow through the years. Obviously, they 'get it.' They know that happiness comes from serving God and others as HE beckons us. Speaking of journey blessings,my wife and I now count Nathan and Caleb.

No comments:

Post a Comment