Wednesday, May 11, 2016

What Matters?

Often times when a young child is 'in trouble' they will throw every excuse imaginable at the wall hoping something will 'stick.' A similar comparison occurs when politicians wish so badly to be elected; they will promise the moon and then accuse their opponent of wanting to destroy that moon.
What I find interesting and puzzling is the 'buyer's' reaction. What shall they ultimately believe?

As the political competition for the 'White House' appears to be a two-horse race between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, each campaign must decide what rhetorics are voters going to embrace. Trump prefers the personal attacks over policy position attacks. He has begun with blaming Hillary for being a "nasty enabler" for her husband's sexual trysts and indiscretions. Never mind that Trump is on record having bragged about his own affairs while married. This guy had an affair with Marla Maples (his second wife) while married to his first wife.

My first reaction to Trump's attacks is wondering why anyone would not believe that Hillary is a victim in this scenario. Then upon deeper reflection, I wonder...So What?
Please understand that I have zero knowledge about the personal lives of my orthopedic surgeon, my gastroenterologist, my urologist or my dentist. I do have confidence in their respective skills. I do trust their abilities to make things right. The personal trials and journey of these individuals is of no interest or consequence to me.

During the next primary, I would like to find the answers to these exit poll questions: How many voters read a book the past month vs. the number of voters who read a supermarket tabloid? Then ask the voter their candidate choice...there may be some interesting correlations.

No comments:

Post a Comment