Tuesday, May 17, 2016

You'll Be Glad You Did

I believe it was 8 or 9 years ago, I was walking on the treadmill and watching the 'Family Feud' television show when my interest was tweaked with this question: "What five peoples' contributions have most changed the way we live?"  Good question.

I recall making a mental list quickly. I gave a nod to Christ, Adam & Eve, Edison, Wright Brothers and Abe Lincoln. I tried hard to make a case for 'Bo' Diddley but it was just too far a stretch. When the moderator revealed the list generated by 100 people surveyed, I was surprised. Ready? (1) Martin Luther King, (2) Oprah, (3) Bill Clinton, (4) Ben Franklin and (5) Jesus.
I believe we can agree that perhaps only Jesus Christ would stand a chance to remain on such a list throughout time; His 'teachings' caused the greatest movement known to mankind. But back to this list. Look again at the names. This survey must have been taken at a Democratic Party Fundraiser. I think all those folks on the list are all liberals; well I'm not too sure about Franklin.

The game show question got me to thinking in more personal terms. What five people have most  impacted the way I live 'my' life. I made three lists that day. First, the five family members, secondly, the five youth friendships and thirdly, the five professional acquaintance list.

After completing these lists, the next day I began telephoning names on my lists and thanking them for their contribution to my journey. Sadly, some had passed away but those I spoke with were both surprised and thrilled to get the message. I strongly suggest this engagement; don't procrastinate. Don't allow it to become a 'wouda-couda-shouda' moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment