Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Priorities?

Often when people cannot explain 'why' they dismiss their frustration simply saying, "It is what it is." I find this type of response sometimes to be nothing short of a 'cop-out.' When I hear, 'It is what it is,' I think of the line used by Ted Kennedy when giving brother Bobby's eulogy; "Some people see things as they are and say "why."  I dream things that never were and say "why not."

I, perhaps as you, scratch my head wondering about either the illogical or disenginous thoughts expressed by many Americans.  There is one such debate about pro-life and pro-choice. Then there are those who believe the (Christian) Ten Commandments have a rightful place in the public square but no other religious faith should be so embraced yet we claim freedom for all not one over another.

I keep waiting for the debate that settles this issue: How in a Nation that calls itself 'a Christian Nation' allow one in four American children to go to bed hungry tonight while paying hundreds of millions of dollars to American farmers NOT to grow some crops this year in order to keep the market price up?

 I do believe in the American spirit enough and the teachings of Christ to beg that debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment