Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Follow Directions

The fifteen years since my retirement from coaching, I have coordinated the annual week long Thanksgiving boys invitational basketball tournament for the Decatur School District. Nearly ten thousand fans attend this event. I few years ago, I approached a group of African-American men who advocate for the public schools as they regularly mentor young Black children of all school ages. This organization is known as 'Caring Black Men.' I requested that these guys help me with their interactive presence at the tournament. Believe me when I tell you that their service is most positive.

I asked one of the members if he could summarize the 'message' they communicate to young school age children. He quickly responded, "Easy, Follow Directions!" He then went on to elaborate rather passionately: "If Michael Brown (Ferguson, Missouri) had followed directions when the police officer told him to get out the street, he'd still be alive today."

Reflecting on the far too numerous 'polic shootings' most if not ALL would not happened if directions were followed. Now, we can bull crap one another with endless poppycock debate but it boils down to one simple truth...parents fail to demand that their children follow directions. Kids don't fear their parents, don't listen to their teachers and ignore the police directives. Generally, I said GENERALLY, these police shooting incidents are the fault of rouge-behaving individuals who thumb their noses at law enforcement and create an unsafe climate.

Follow directions!

No comments:

Post a Comment