Sunday, September 25, 2016

They've Made a Comeback!

I'll bet you remember a few years ago when we were told that if we telephoned a certain number, we could request our name be taken off the 'tele-marketing' call list. It seemed to work for a time but it appears to have made a comeback. Most of the telephone solicitation calls buzz me from mid-afternoon until early evening.

Local senior living residences and funeral homes are calling more frequently, which is both sobering and un-nerving. I still get those Lake of the Ozark and Branson, Missouri free weekend invitations. I pass on those as well as those free cruises. My Daddy told me a long time ago that it will cost you more if you buy it at your front door and 'free' will cost you.

The police fund people are telephoning more often these days; almost as much as that dadgum, 'Rachael' with that credit card deal. St Jude's Hospital calls often but my wife donates to them regularly through those return address labels. You know, stop and think, most of us would run out of money before folks run out of 'good causes.'

 I sometimes tell the callers that I'm walking out the door for an appointment or I have company or Mr. Roustio is not 'in' at the present time...yes, they are fibs...sue me. Once in awhile, I feel a little ornery and I'll tell the caller that I receive telemarketing calls between 2PM and 3PM on Tuesday and Wednesday's.

In the past few years, I also notice the door bell ringing more often. Reminds me of those 1940's door-to-door salesmen. The vacuum sweeper who took out a little bag of dirt to toss on mom's floor only to demonstrate the power of his product. Then there was that Fuller Brush guy and those Insurance hustlers. Today, my wife has a regular weekly door bell ringer in the Avon lady. The Schwan's man rings the door bell every other week. Seems as though schools and scouts never tire selling magazines, candy and discount cards.
I never personally answer the door. If my wife is busy, I just let the folks eventually walk away. I have my fear that one day the door bell will ring and that obnoxious Jerry Bradshaw will be standing there holding disgusting photos of old people with shingles.


No comments:

Post a Comment