Monday, September 12, 2016

Never Fails

I don't shop often and that's a good thing. When shopping, my disposition changes as my attitude goes South. Actually, it's because I seem to make bad choices at the checkout lane; invariably, I select the wrong lane. Just the other evening, I went to the CVS pharmacy at the nearby Target store and made the wrong lane check out decision.

What is frustrating is my conviction that I truly believe I have the correct game plan. I first determine the shortest lanes and then I do a quick survey of basket items per cart at the 'two shortest' lines. Okay, at the recent Target experience, I chose the lane with only three people in line with fewer items compared to three nearby lanes, which had four people deep in every line...turned out to be a bad choice.

What a revolting development. First, the cashier at my lane was a young lad who was obviously smitten by the young attractive teenage girl cashier at the adjacent lane. The hormonal chemistry between the two could cause a store wide power outage. Finally, I'm third in line when I realize the woman first in line has three items without attached price tags. You guessed, we waited for another clerk to round up prices. That sale completed, I'm now number 2. Great Scott, the next elderly lady has a total bill of $18.96... She is paying with cash and come hell or high water, she is going to 'find' the exact change in her coin purse; when that fails she dives into her hand bag, which us the size of an army duffle bag, searching for two more pennies. Lord forbid that she break a twenty and have excess coins to tote. Next in line, I realize that the lady in front of me is one of those gals who questions most items regarding 'sale prices' and coupon discounts. After the cashier finished, he said, "Your total is $72.41. The lady tried two credit cards, which were both denied.

I'm just glad I hadn't purchased ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment