Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Packaged Differently

One day last week, I was finishing up front yard grass-cutting when two young fellas dressed in black trousers, white shirts and ties approached the driveway. I shook hands with the young men and assured them I had a salvation game plan as they smiled and departed. Those fella's were fulfilling missionary obligations to their Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints. I know very little about the tenets of that religion but I do surely admire their missionary commitments.

The yard moment gave cause for me to reflect a bit on my own lifetime Methodism journey. What I am about to share is in no way criticism of the Methodist faith or those who have accepted the ministry calling; these are simple change observations, which I'll leave for others to judge as good or bad. These are views of a seventy-seven year relationship with John Wesley's 'heart felt' faith.

Based on my attendance experiences at other churches, I've concluded that Methodist folks sing the loudest and most Methodist preachers have great appetites...especially for fried chicken after Sunday services.

Changes over the years...Yesteryears many sermons focused on hell's fire and eternal damnation without repenting and accepting Christ. Today, I note more feel good messages. Seemed as though my Methodist churchmen of the past had a greater passion for pot lucks, ice cream socials, tent revivals and house calling either for memberships or tithing pledges. I heard lots of folks call out 'Amen' in support of the preacher's pulpit comments years ago. Funny how today, we embrace casual church attire but behave conservatively. Back in the day, folks dressed up' for Sunday Church...not so much these days.

One thing kinda remains the same. All too frequently, I hear of churches breaking up or people leaving to go to or form another church. I'm guessing that is driven by Christians judging Christians. Dadgummit, I've looked the scriptures over and over searching for the passage where Jesus tells us to judge each other until His return; can't find it anywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment