Friday, September 23, 2016

K-I-S-S Philosophy

I was never one who enjoyed reading directions. I don't care for complexities. Never did like a lot of rules. I guess you could say that the 'kiss philosophy' was designed for the likes of me...you know 'Keep It Simple Stupid.' I suppose that's why I subscribed to that philosophy in my coaching career and parenting / grandparenting roles.

As a prep basketball coach, I explained to my teams that the school district had rules and conduct codes, which they would enforce that were beyond my control. As their 'Coach,' I had only four rules:
 (1) Be on time (2) Pay attention (3) Play hard or go home (4) Respect All Fear None.

As a parent, I explained to my children that they would follow my rules or there would be consequences. I explained the difference between trust and love. That was to say, as their father, I did not trust their 'teen years' and that demonstrated my profound love for them...only a parent in denial or a fool trusts a teenager.

As a parent and grandparent, I have preached relentlessly for the children and grandchildren to pursue a work profession for which they have a passion and during life's journey seek opportunities to 'serve others' as commanded by our Lord. I told them that following those two objectives would insure a life filled with joy and happiness.

Checking? You're on a roll, keep it going kids.




No comments:

Post a Comment