Friday, May 5, 2017

Fleeting Time

I believe it is human nature to be impatient. What surprises me, personally, is I seem to grow more impatient as I grow older. I thought the youthful years were the impatient-years and with aging-maturity, I would become mellow with greater patience. Actually, I believe I understand why I find it difficult to 'wait-on-life,' but that stated later.

The late baseball great, Jackie Robinson said something that resonated with me through my life's journey. Robinson said, "Many people resented my impatience and honesty, but I never cared about acceptance as much as I cared about respect."  For me, I was always impatient and tried to be honest. I would admit to wishing for respect but respect was secondary to people getting on board with support or getting out of the way with their hurdles.

As a high school basketball coach my primary focus was on players and 'The Program.' If I could anchor a sustainable 'program' then those players, coaches and fans WOULD be well-served!

Thank God a 'perfect storm' brewed in Jacksonville with administrators such as Bob Crowe, Fred Osborn, Joe Dewees and John Conklin all of whom recognized the value in a number of program anchors proposed and more importantly had an understanding for my impatience to implement. Those particular program anchors will serve players and fans long after my last sunset.

Today, I try my best to serve the Decatur School District and the Decatur Community with coordinating a extravagant high school basketball event at Thanksgiving. I am most fortunate for those business leaders who share a desire and passion to sustain one of the States best basketball tournaments. I also try to serve my Church with small efforts. Sometimes, I find the processes move very slowly and I fight my impatience demon.

Look, I'm seventy-eight. Don't you know it's becoming more of an issue? The sand is running faster and faster down that hour glass. That my friends, begs impatience!

   (Touch)
Simon & Garfunkel

No comments:

Post a Comment