Thursday, May 11, 2017

Judge a Man's heart by His Actions with a Dog

A few years ago, during a visit, one of our grown children noted my doting over Toy Poodle, Yodie. Her comment, "Dad, you treat THAT dog better than you treated your kids." In retrospect, I'll admit my response was rather flippant when I said, "The dog has given me fewer problems than did you kids."

Time permits the re-visit of such moments providing it's a good day and memories come easily. Recently, I gave considerable thought to that 'charge' from my daughter about treating Poodle-Yodie better than my kids...my daughter was correct in her assessment!

When our kids were small (little)...
* They were in bed by 8PM...
Yodie goes to bed when we go to bed.
*. When the kids came to our bedroom wanting in our bed, we made a floor blanket area by our bed.
Yodie sleeps in bed between my wife and me.
*. When our son was young, I bought hair-clippers and gave him a "buzz-haircut" to save money.
Yodie get a $40.00 wash, cut & dry every 12-weeks.
*. We refused to give our kids 'treats' Willy-Nilly.'
Yodie on the other hand has one kitchen cabinet devoted to his treat bags.
*. The kids were potty-trained by age two.
Yodie doesn't potty in the house but when outside, I follow him with 'poop' bags.
*. My wife and I arranged for babysitters for our children.
Yodie has never seen the inside of a dog kennel. Where I go...Yodie goes.

When the weather is good (Central, Illinois or. Florida), Yodie and the old man are outside in the sunlight @6:00AM most days.

Look, I love my kids beyond description and I know that love is returned...BUT Yodie not only tolerates my every mood and attitude, he believes that I am omnipotent without flaw.

"Dogs are not our 'whole' life but they 'make' our lives whole."...Roger Caras

And my favorite..."Heaven goes by favor. If it went on merit, you would stay out and he dog would go in." Mark Twain

       (Touch)
Dog Lovers Song

No comments:

Post a Comment