Thursday, May 4, 2017

Worth a Shot

Last Saturday after grandson, Colin's Western Michigan University graduation, Colin's mother (our daughter Dawn), his father, (son-in-law, Shawn) along with Nana and Boompa enjoyed a long visit as we luncheoned at a Kalamazoo restaurant. It was a most enjoyable couple of hours.

Conversation topics ranged from Colin's post graduation employment to a variety of current events. I'm not sure how the 'grandparent-old-age-housing' subject came about but it did. Oh, I do remember.
I was lobbying my son-in-law to consider purchasing a home in the Sunshine State of Florida and his in-laws, Mel and Gerry would move there and take care of the place until his retirement; I added the incentive that,we would vacate the premises anytime he wished to vacation at the site. Before you jump to some conclusion hear my post script theory. I explained to my son-in-law, Shawn that this arrangement would likely add years to his wife's parents' lives and thus postpone a time when one or both of us (Nana and Boompa) have to go live with our kids. (Note: I'm hedging my bet that my kids will avoid the nursing home and agree to rotate the old folks from house to house.

Immediately, my wife spoke up and adamantly stated, "I'm not living with any of my kids, I'm going to a nursing home." I countered with an opposite opinion, "I'm living with one of my kids but I'd like to delay that by moving to a warmer climate for a few more years." Hey, every body's got be somewhere!

     (Touch)
Brook Benton

No comments:

Post a Comment