Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Music...A Great Anti-Depressant

Many years ago, a basketball fan asked me if I ever fought depression. I told the fan, "I get depressed but I head it off before it becomes a crippling negative." His question was, "Do you mean you take antidepressants?" "Hell no, I don't take pills. I lock myself in my office at home and listen to anti-depressant music."

My goodness how shall I count the number of things that can possibly depress a high school basketball coach? How about a 1-23 season? How depressing when on one of your best ever teams your 6'8" all-state center  dislocates his shoulder just before playoffs? Would perhaps a person running for the school board to get the coach fired be depressing? Maybe, just maybe a coach might get depressed when a hired police guard shows at your work place to protect you because there has been a threat on your life.

Well after sharing what must be shared with my wife and keeping it ALL from your children, I just pushed on never showing any signs of concern. You prepare your team day in and day out never quitting on them for one moment and never showing signs of distress. Then during those late night hours when sleep might be elusive, I would head downstairs to embrace my music...

"Got to Make The Best Of a Bad Situation"...................Gladys Knight
"Back Stabbers".............................................................The O'Jays
"Bridge Over Troubled Waters".....................................Simon & Garfunkel
"Imagine".................................................................. ....John Lennon
Then there is this one by the late Frankie Laine......
   (Touch)
Frankie Laine
I Believe

No comments:

Post a Comment