Sunday, May 14, 2017

The Gift of Life...Remember Mom

In the late 1950's there was a popular weekly television show called, "I Remember Mama." The theme was always the same. A grown woman narrated story recalling her past childhood and the positive impact her nurturing mother had on the lives of family members.  I liked the program because it left you with warm feelings.

Today, Americans 'remember mothers.' Those younger folks will perhaps visit mom or take her out for dinner. Many who live far away will take a moment to telephone their mother to express loving wishes. Others in our midst cannot visit, nor take their mother out for dinner and are even denied the telephone exchange. Those of us who have grieved an earthly farewell to our mothers will pause this day and reflect on precious memories:

I Remember Mama...

* As a young child, I often times fell asleep listening to her voice coming from a nearby room.
* I recall many childhood injuries from falls and other missteps, which were made all better by her.
* I still hear her grooming advice when looking in a mirror or at finger nails and shoes, not to forget wearing clean underwear to save her embarrassment should I end up in the hospital.
* She constantly preached to me about Jesus and doing the right thing.
* When I began dating, I got strong lectures about 'respecting a girl.'
* Mother along with Dad left no doubt that they loved their three boys...we boys knew it was second to the love they had for each other.
* I miss so very much (today) hearing her laughter.

To all the moms who read this blog, I wish you a Happy Mother's Day.
To all who remember their mother's today, I say to you, "Mother's are Mankinds' Greatest Gift.!

    (Touch)
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment