Monday, May 1, 2017

Bullying

It is disturbing to read or hear reports of youthful bullying. This practice, however is as old as modern civilization. That said, it would appear that the twenty-first century social-media indulgence makes the sting of bullying greater for the victim; an Internet negative comment is transmitted to the world in a blink of the eye. I would suspect that much of the driving cause behind one individual intimidating another individual is anchored in simple jealousy.

Whereas I do not have the expertise to explain this ugly and hurtful practice, which victimizes and costs young lives, I do recall a personal experience that was undoubtedly bullying. At a young age, I remember becoming the target of negative verbal comments and ostracism from that which had been my 'soicial group.' When you're 11-12 years old, those peer-group memberships seem to be your heartbeat. I responded with hurt feelings but resolved to embrace the very thing that I knew was the basis of the jealousy...sports' abilities. I pursued the sports not the group. Today, I would charge every youngster to not allow others to define them through coericion.

Just as I hear most bullying victims have lingering scars, I also accept the reality of scars. I spent a lifetime serving others without desiring many close friendships. Stated more succinctly, I love people and wish to do what I can for people but I don't trust people. A thirty-nine year high school coaching career would have never happened had an not embraced that modus operandi.


There is good news...My wife makes many friends her husband has few selected inner-circle friends.
Look, my story is not abnormal; it is repeated millions of times daily across this nation.

       (Touch)
Jerry Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment