Thursday, July 13, 2017

Just Walking Around

I noticed my grandchildren growing up were much like others during their adolescent years, in so far as they didn't and still don't walk anywhere at night. I suppose the safety factor is the deal-breaker.

I remember my own adolescent years and we walked everywhere day and/or night. Well actually, we boys walked and hitchhiked. I 'thumbed' many rides to my little league games ages 11-to-15. I never see young boys in baseball uniforms hitchhiking and given today's precarious social climate, I would advise against the practice.

I recall my adolescent summertime Friday nights when the pre-driving teens took the city bus or walked to local hangouts and neighborhood theaters. Of course, we found trouble at times. It was always fun to find a tavern with a bathroom window, which allowed us to fill water-balloons and then wait for a city bus to 'blast.' Actually, I felt sorry for the driver who opened the door for a bogus passenger only to get hammered with those water-bombs...but hey, gotta yield to peer pressure, right?

Finally, several of us boys began walking girls home from the theater, which helped tame our uncivilized behavior. Once that sixteenth Birthday arrived, we walked less and found different hangouts. Care to guess how many guys you can get into the trunk of a 1950 Bel Aire Chevy? The answer is four. However, you must not breath heavy as the driver negotiates through the French Village Drive Inn movie entrance.
(Touch)
 I Wanna Walk You Home

No comments:

Post a Comment