Thursday, July 20, 2017

Take a Moment...Share a Moment

Several years ago leaving a Metro-East (Illinois) nursing home after a visit with my father's sister, I passed by an elderly gentleman's room and noticed him waving at me. He spoke but I did not hear his comment. During my drive home, I thought next time I visit my Aunt, I'm going to stop by that old man's room. Three or four weeks later I walked down that nursing home hallway. I looked in the old gent's room only to note a new tenant...he had died. To this day, I still could 'kick myself.' Perhaps the old man wanted to tell me where he buried his gold. Maybe he wanted me to pray for him. And then again, just perhaps my Lord wished for me to witness. Shame on me. I ask forgiveness. Later that evening, I penned this poem...

                                                                   LIFE'S WAY

He lifted his head to share our glance,
Surely our eyes met by chance.

My pace quickened past his door,
I thought my mission held much more.

Perhaps had we spoken a word or two,
His fading Day would seem less blue.
 
A story, a tale perhaps be told,
If those memories would unfold.

Maybe he recalled those days gone bye,
Those days when he too was on the fly.

No need to mark the passing days,
Meaningless tomorrow's but a haze.

Find a sweetheart, begin a life,
Provide for children and a wife.

Climb the ladder, etch that name,
Accomplish all, grab the fame.

Children leave seeking things,
Beware life's impending stings.

Joy in grandchildren breath new life,
Deadening those senses to aging strife.

Abilities/agility's once matter-of-fact,
Quickly fade, no longer in tact.

Whispers of my future made All so sad,
They try to decide what's best for Dad.

Yesterday's spent and here by no choice,
Patiently he waits his Master's voice.

Resolved at ease with peace of mind,
Soon he leaves for those behind.

(Touch)
Old Man
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l0ESDWQNrpo

No comments:

Post a Comment