Friday, July 7, 2017

Some Change Good; Some Not So Good

I suppose I heard the messages about the same time in my young life...probably at age six. The messages? (1) "Children are to be seen and not heard." and (2) "THEY need to stay in THEIR Place."
The year was 1945, in mid-America. Parents did not live vicariously through the actions of their kids although those parents appeared to fear negative judgment of their parenting skills if a child demonstrated bad or unacceptable public behavior. I recall adult family members telling me prior to adult guests arriving at our home that I was to be seen and not talk unless answering an adults question. I was to say 'excuse me,' 'thank you' and other appropriate terms of etiquette. That's just the way it was and I adhered to the directive.

The second message of the times (1940's) was in reference to Negroes. (Note: The terms 'Blacks' and 'African-Americans' were not popular when identifying those of the Negro race. Actually, the terms acceptable in the 1940's were 'Negroes' and 'Colored.') Of course, just as is the case today, there were several disparaging names hurled at our Black brothers and sisters as there was for Hispanics, Polish, Italians, Jews, Puerto Ricans and Irish. Okay, this is where that second message was born. Often times, I heard white folks say, "THEY belong in THEIR place." One knew the reference> 'THEY' were people of color and 'THEIR PLACE' was not in the white man's space. What puzzled me was trying to understand why 'they' (people of color) had some place but white people had any and all places to be sure.

There was a similar attitude about women during that time. Many people were appalled that women would dare compete with a man for a job. The contemporary thinking was 'a woman's place' is in the home taking care of household needs and raising kids.

Today, we can celebrate more logical, moral and constitutionally correct thinking. That said, we dare not suggest that the all is perfectly okay...intolerance remains America's Achilles heel.

Regarding children today being seen and not heard...well buddy boy, 'THAT horse left the barn!'
(Touch)
Changin' Times

No comments:

Post a Comment