Wednesday, July 12, 2017

They Remain Our Stars

A few years ago and for several years, my wife and I were into antique shopping. She was on a decorative tea pot mission and I was collecting vinyl records...LP's and 45's. I suppose we 'petered out'  when China cabinets filled. The 'bug' lies dormant evidently based on the fact that we often watch that television show, American Pickers.

A few weeks past, while watching one of those American Pickers' episode, I noticed some various size metal stars. These metal stars had been painted 'gold.' Instantly, I thought of the World War II days. I was a lad of five and six. My father was serving in WWII and a lot of other East St. Louis families had dads, brothers and sons in that combat. I knew this because I asked questions about all the red-White & blue flags and banners. Those colors were on homes and local businesses. I also remember asking why we had a 'White' Star in our front window. The explanations gave me my first insight into patriotism.

I was told that the 'White Star' in widows indicated that a family member from that house was serving in the Armed Forces. I got a sick feeling in my stomach when my inquiry about the 'Gold Star' was answered. That 'Gold Star' meant that a family member from THAT house had been killed in the war. Oh, my God how I fought sleep at times worrying about that. I was always checking our 'White Star.' Once in awhile I would see those Gold Stars in the city and it was always framed in some fashion with 'black.' I felt so badly for those families and worried so much about my Dad.

So much heartache and so much angst for those waiting, praying and hoping.
(Touch)
Till Then

No comments:

Post a Comment